i have adventures (sometimes)

Monday 21 January 2013

ALLCAPS GREAT

Hey, look where I am!

OH HEY DORKYFACE.
Yes, I'm back in the cold and the dark, having considered graduation a good excuse to come back to England and spend time with the people I like over here.

England is, of course, in chaos over the three-odd inches of snow which have fallen over the last few days.

It's madness.
But my plane landed on time and I've generally been able to get to the places I'm going and I have lots of soup and chocolate and waterproof boots and an Emily, so I'm free to enjoy the snow.

Or to lie around in my pyjamas and read and drink tea instead. Because now I'm in another country, so it's called "being on holiday", not "unemployment".


Saturday was cold and snowy, but I managed to lure my good friend Liz to London from Brighton, and we spent an exciting day of catching up and tourism - indoors. Thanks to HappyCow, I tracked down a lovely little cafe down a side street, where the food was amazing and cheap, the walls were purple, and the atmosphere was cosy.


After some unsuccessful Googling to find something free and indoors to do, we decided that warmth took priority and took a very brisk and freezing walk to a coffee shop, where we spent the rest of the afternoon.

Via this creepy park where I lost my Oyster Card. I suspect the TERRIFYING GIANT HAND took it.
We're frozen here. Send help.
On Sunday afternoon, I broke the rule I have for my younger brother about meeting strangers from the internet (Jamie, you're still not allowed to) and went to a Cabin Pressure meetup. The V & A Museum held a free screening of Boeing Boeing, a ridiculous play starring Roger Allam, who is also one of the stars of Cabin Pressure. The people from the internet were nice, and the play was hilarious (and very accurately described by thepudupudu as "Douglas Richardson, the early years"). Roger Allam was great, but the show was rather stolen by Mark Rylance as the country bumpkin schoolchum. After the show it was cold and dark and we were hungry, so we went our separate ways, back to the internet. Where we belong.

We are fangirl. Hear us squeal.
And then snow was so magical that  Emily and I had to go out and play in it. You may remember that I like snow. This is still true, only now with a little less screaming. But that's largely because I'm tired now, not because snow is any less exciting.

Because snow is GREAT. ALLCAPS GREAT.

RUNOVER SNOW ANGEL.
EMILY TAUGHT ME SNOWBALLS.
LOOK WE MADE A SNOWCAT.
LOOK AT THIS SNOWCAT.
WE DECORATED THIS CAR. YOU'RE WELCOME, CAR.
 And tonight, if we can be bothered to get dressed and go out into the dark, Emily and I are off to a debate about religion at UCL, because we are intellectual and thoughtful people, and certainly not just because I have a braincrush on Andrew Copson of the British Humanist Association. He just says such lovely sensible things in such a nice voice. <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment