i have adventures (sometimes)

Thursday 2 February 2012

My Big Fat Nerdy Life

Just in case anyone thought I was cool, I'm about to disabuse you of that notion. Partly because it's not true, and partly because I really like the word "disabuse".

One of my favourite games at the moment is flashcards. Yes, flashcards. Jason's studying for the GRE, which means - among other things - learning a ridiculous amount of vocabulary. Which means vocab flashcards. Which means AWESOME PARTY GAME.

This may be why I don't get invited to very many parties.

BEST PARTY EVER. (Source)

It turns out that I'm not actually very good at describing things with, you know, words and stuff, but I have an irrepressible urge to draw how words feel, which turns the whole thing into a sort of inverse charades, with an extra step where I have to try and translate my vague waving back into words.


Permeate
Erudite
And then I wasn't feeling nerdy enough (I have very high standards), so I went to the SF/Fantasy Soc convention to play nerdy board games. With nerds. ALL WEEKEND.

Well, almost all weekend. I had to sleep at some point.

Here's an exclamatory summary of my Friday night. In reality, of course, there were coherent sentences. But only until about a third of the way through Mage Knight.

7 WONDERS
Get things! Build things! Buy things! (I totally won.)

DOMINION
Get cards! Get better cards! Get the best cards! (I totally won.)

BETRAYAL AT HOUSE ON THE HILL
Explore creepy house! Experience creepy things! Get betrayed and eaten by giant cats! (We got totally pwned.)

MAGE KNIGHT BOARD GAME

NOUN NOUN NOUN NOUN. (SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE)
I GOT TO BE A DRAGON, YOU GUYS. A MOTHERFLIPPING DRAGON. (Bri played as the token lady character, who was predictably wearing either no pants or only pants, depending on your dialectal preference.)

IT'S ALIVE
Get confused by simple rules! Play bingo with zombie body parts! (I totally won.)

4AM I THINK IT'S BEDTIME NOW
ASDF!@JMJJD! Does not compute! Bed now! (I was awake for another two hours. I may not have totally won at this.)

***

One of the awesome things about being a grown up* is that being a massive nerd is kind of cool. Ok, so it isn't, sort of by definition, but there are enough other massive nerds to make that ok, and no one gets to make fun of you for it, because you're a grown up (AND SOMETIMES A DRAGON). So I get to play nerdy board games and geek out over Firefly and get really excited about interesting words and make phonetics jokes that practically no one will get, and it's all fine.

And probably more fun than being cool, although I can't personally vouch for that.

AND THEN THERE'S THE FANGIRLING. I HAVEN'T EVEN TALKED ABOUT THE FANGIRLING. That deserves a post all to itself. But for now, let's just say it looks something like this.


And this.


And sometimes this.


And a whole lot of this.



Because of this.

OMG. (Source)
But that's a story for another time.

*This list also includes eating pudding before or instead of a meal any time I like. It excludes laundry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment