i have adventures (sometimes)

Sunday 4 September 2011

Just Freezing in the Rain (Not a Glorious Feeling at All)

22:08 Posted by Ali , , , No comments
We had another late start this morning, and after packing our lunch like the good thrifty students we are, we set out around mid-morning for Camden Town. Since it seemed warm enough, we did so in jeans and tshirts (can anyone tell me what foreshadowing is?).

This awning and this shop seem weirdly mismatched. Or are those just seriously badass pretty dresses?
So obviously it turned out cold and bucketing with rain. Ro bought a hoodie, but I stubbornly refused to spend money on anything that wasn't totally freaking awesome, which meant that I ended up freezing and dripping wet, and had to borrow one of Ro's tourist tshirts so that at least I'd have an extra layer against the elements.

We spent a while browsing the markets, and then took shelter in the inSpiral Lounge for delicious vegan cake. It turns out that Ro has a low rich food threshhold, so I helped him out with the last of his cake once I finished mine, because I'm a good friend like that.

It was hard work, but someone had to do it.
We struggled through wind and rain to the station, and dripped our way to King's Cross for an amazing sci-fi exhibition at the British Library. Among the items on display were parts of the handwritten first drafts of Northern Lights and Never Let Me Go, and I totally didn't jump up and down with excitement when I saw them, because I was in a library and behaving appropriately.

OMG Tardis!
That was a close one!
Braving the cold in extra layers.
And since we were right around the corner, we dropped in to see Speedy's, of Sherlock fame.

Benedict Cumberbatch stood right here. RIGHT HERE.

Our next port of call was the Science Museum, because we like pushing buttons science. Unluckily for us, it was full of kids who also wanted to push the buttons, so we decided to come back on a weekday once we're back in London. Because we're grown ups and we can do things like that. Take that, children of the world.

Next stop: Edinburgh!

(So I need to go and dry my shoes.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment